Text copied to clipboard!
TitleText copied to clipboard!
Public Works Director
DescriptionText copied to clipboard!
We are looking for a dedicated and experienced Public Works Director to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for planning, directing, managing, and overseeing the activities and operations of the Public Works Department including engineering, street maintenance, storm drainage, water production, water reclamation, and building maintenance. You will coordinate assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies and provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Manager. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in civil engineering, project management, and public administration, with a proven track record of successful public works management.
ResponsibilitiesText copied to clipboard!
- Develop and implement departmental goals, objectives, policies, and priorities.
- Coordinate with city officials and other departments on public works projects.
- Oversee the development and administration of the department budget.
- Ensure compliance with all city, state, and federal regulations.
- Manage and oversee the design and construction of public works projects.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of department staff.
- Prepare and present reports on department activities to the City Council.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Participate in professional group meetings and stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public works.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
RequirementsText copied to clipboard!
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, public administration, or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in public works management.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering and public works administration.
- Ability to develop and administer departmental budgets.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with city officials, other departments, and the public.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and project management software.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
Potential interview questionsText copied to clipboard!
- What experience do you have in managing public works projects?
- How do you handle conflicts with other departments or agencies?
- Can you describe a time when you had to manage a particularly challenging public works project?
- How do you ensure compliance with all relevant regulations in your work?
- What strategies do you use to manage your department's budget effectively?